Wednesday, December 26, 2007

As we close in on 2007.... Some Thoughts

It seems as though as this year ends and we come upon 2008 we have all had quite a few changes, shifts and personal earthquakes.
I know in my life this year I did. And I thank the fact that my belief and surrender into the Dharma has helped me along. I no longer feel that I am in this all alone, and can call upon the Dharma/Buddha/Sangha for support when I do need it the most. And this year I have needed it!
But as my acceptance of life grows so does my peace, and well at times bliss.
I believe that whatever we go thru if we call upon the Buddha we can get thru it. I usually am filled with a overwhelming amount of peace, then I can go forward. :)
I have much to learn in the Dharma, but am a willing student, and open to the teaches, no matter where it may lead me.

I find that I blend my Buddhism with being a Americano. The fact that we live in this country a predominatly Christian based country I at times blend that with my Buddhism. I don't celebrate Christmas, but do gift gifts and see it as Dharma and part of the joy of living. I also don't decorate my house, but I do decorate one of my Buddhas. By putting something festive on him (he is rather large and ornate and I can put fancy garland around his shoulders and fancy Christmas small wreath around his head. I know if I was in Japan or Thailand I wouldn't have to worry about celebrating Christmas, therefore I wouldn't think of Dressing up my Buddha. But since I do live here I feel that Buddha honors all walks of life and even probably gets a nice giggle out of being dolled up.
I also put presents under my Buddha. To honor him and his teaches, and have a beautiful candle that burns in front of Buddha. My offering to Buddha. It is a fancy essential oil, all natural one! :)
I also give gifts to my doggies, since they have been so good and they enjoy opening them. I call the Day of Christmas our Buddha fest in America! We love each other and celebrate with special gifts and fun! As well as enjoy our time together as well as make something really scrumptious and delicious to eat!! We celebrate being Buddhist! And we also do something swell for those less fortunate then us, again part of the Dharma. So to me The Holidays is a time to practice the Dharma and enjoy being a Buddhist! And to let my Sangha know they are loved!

Blissings
Shanti

No comments: